In the U.S. public health sphere, fall means one thing: It’s time for the American Public Health Association’s Annual Meeting & Expo! The 2022 conference, taking place Nov. 6-9 in Boston, will be filled with all the presentations, posters, networking, and social events a public health nerd could want. With its theme of “150 Years of Creating the Healthiest Nation: Leading the Path Toward Equity,” this year’s conference is sure to be especially meaningful.
As you fill out your schedule, check out these sessions and events recommended by the de Beaumont Foundation (all times Eastern). Also be sure to swing by Booth 209 in APHA Place to grab some swag, learn about our programs and initiatives, and meet our staff. We can’t wait to see you there!
de Beaumont Initiatives: Spotlight on PH WINS
The findings and analyses of the 2021 Public Health Workforce Interests and Needs Survey (PH WINS) will be highlighted at several APHA 2022 sessions.
- 2071.1: The State of the Governmental Public Health Workforce: Intentions to Leave or Stay, Opportunity Costs of the COVID-19 Pandemic, and Awareness of and Confidence to Address Equity-Related Concepts — Sunday, November 6, 2:30-4:00 pm, BCEC, 103
- 2200: Health Services Research: Impact of COVID-19 on MCH — Sunday, November 6, 4:30-6:00 pm, BCEC, 261
- 4004.1: Governmental Public Health Workforce Data Ecosystem: A Case Study of Region V — Tuesday, November 8, 8:30-10:30 am, BCEC, 104A
- 5139: COVID-19 Pandemic-Related Challenges and Opportunities for Health Administrators — Wednesday, November 9, 12:30-2:00 pm, BCEC, 160A
de Beaumont Staff Presentations
de Beaumont president and CEO Brian C. Castrucci, senior program associate Zamir Brown, and vice president of communications Mark R. Miller are presenting on strategies to support the public health workforce in their careers, from developing partnerships to improving communications.
- 3248.1: Lightning Training: A Collaborative Approach to Public Health Communications to Increase the Capacity of your Department — Monday, November 7, 4:30-6:00 pm, BCEC, 161
- 5004: Where Do We Go from Here – An Interactive Discussion of Strategies to Build the Public Health Workforce from College to Commissioner [Live Streamed Session]— Wednesday, November 9, 8:30-10:00 am, BCEC, East Ballroom
Don’t forget to make time for some fun in addition to the hundreds of scientific sessions. Connect with the authors and editors of APHA Press books at the APHA Book Signing Party and tweet while you eat at the fifth annual Sunset Tweetup.
- APHA Book Signing Party — Sunday, November 6, 2:30-3:30 pm, BCEC, Public Health Expo: APHA Central
- 5th Annual Sunset Tweetup — Monday, November 7, 6:30-8:00 pm, BCEC, North Lobby and online. RSVP here to view the questions ahead of time. Online participation is open to anyone with an interest in public health.
40 Under 40 Honoree Sessions, Research, and Posters
Is it any surprise that the de Beaumont 40 Under 40 in Public Health are well represented at APHA 2022? These public health leaders are sharing research on a range of important and timely topics in the field.
- Lauran Larson: 2084: Exploring approaches to promoting healthy lifestyles — Sunday, November 6, 2:30-4:00 pm, BCEC, 211
- Ashley Hickson: 2173: Using a Public Health Forum to Foster Community Engagement – Storied Highlights and Practices from the Community Health Planning and Policy Development Section — Sunday, November 6, 4:30-6:00 pm, BCEC, 211
- Kat Davis: 4063: Justice‚ Diversity‚ Equity‚ and Inclusion: Session 3 — Tuesday, November 8, 8:30-10:00 am, BCEC, 153C
- Mary-Margaret Fill: 4178: Poster Session in APHS — Tuesday, November 8, 1:00-2:00 pm, BCEC, Exhibit Hall A, PS Area 2
- Heather Kerwin: 4187: HIIT COVID-19 and GIS Posters 1 — Tuesday, November 8, 1:00-2:00 pm, BCEC, Exhibit Hall A, PS Area 3
- Brett Harris: 4199: Council of Affiliates: Building Capacity & Public Health Infrastructure — Tuesday, November 8, 2:30-4:00 pm, BCEC, 104A
- Joneigh Khaldun: 5110: Identifying Programming to Address Chronic Conditions — Wednesday, November 9, 10:30 am-12:00 pm, BCEC, 152
- Ryan Natividad: 5152: Social Determinants of Health and Health Inequalities — Wednesday, November 9, 12:30-2:00 pm, BCEC, 153B
- Colleen Healy Boufides: 5130: Water Quality Oral Session — Wednesday, November 9, 12:30-2:00 pm, BCEC, 253A