See Christa’s bio. See all 40 Under 40 honorees.
Five Questions for Christa
1. Who or what inspired you to enter the field of public health?
A strong passion and desire to help others inspired me to pursue a career in the health field. However, taking an introductory course to health education with professor Matt Vogel at the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse truly inspired my career in public health. Matt’s emphasis on the community coming together and collaborating to create better health for all was a concept I felt I could truly embrace and be helping others at the same time.
2. What are the greatest challenges you face in your public health work or area of focus?
Capacity — funding, recruiting, and retaining a diverse and competent public health workforce, increased need to support local and tribal health departments as resources at the local level are reduced.
3. What would success in public health look like to you?
The field and science of public health is more widely recognized and there is cross-sector collaboration, where public health has a seat at the table, to solve complex and multifaceted issues facing communities through upstream, prevention-oriented strategies.
4. As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a veterinarian and work on my own ranch!
5. Describe yourself in three words.
Honest, caring, processor.